What is Nutrigenetics and What Does It Mean For Healthy Lipid Support?
Nutrigenetics is the study of the relationships among genes, diet, and health outcomes. Nutrigenomics, a related but distinct field, is the study of how genes and nutrients interact at the molecular level. The field of nutrigenetics is relatively new. In 2003, the Human Genome Project, which identified all the genes in human DNA and determined the sequence of the 3 billion chemical base pairs that make up human DNA, was completed. Knowing the sequences of the human genome opened the doors to examine the relationship among an individual’s genetic makeup, dietary intake, and health outcomes.
Research has shown that inherited SNP’s simply mean that statistically, you have a higher probability to have issues in that area of health. It doesn’t guarantee that you will and similarily, not having SNP’s doesn’t guatantee that you won’t have issues. Often knowing your genetic predisposition will help to make necessary lifestyle adjustments which are key to this gene. Genetically, if one has inherited variants (or SNP Single Nucleotide Polymorphism) from their parents, support with ingredients that help manage ApoB production will help to retain healthy cholesterol levels already in the normal range and support a healthy vascular system.The ApoB gene helps to support a healthy heart by maintaining healthy cholesterol in the normal range. ApoB is known as an “Actionable Gene” and can be supported by specific nutritional ingredients that help manage ApoB production, help retain healthy cholesterol level in the normal range and support a healthy vascular system.
More About ApoB
ApoB is an important gene because cholesterol is carried through the bloodstream on various lipo-protiens: low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high-density lipoproteine (HDL). Apolipoprotein B (ApoB) is regulated by the ApoB gene, is the main component of LDL. Without ApoB, LDL cannot form. LDL levels maintained in the healhty range are typically associated with good cardiovascular health. Research has shown that there is an inverse association between ApoB levels and cardiovascular health. Low levels of ApoB is associated with high LDL or bad cholesterol. The resulting increased incidence of cardiovascular disease can include things atherosclerosis, hypertension or high blood pressure, stroke, ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction. The number of cardiovascular disease related deaths in this country by 2030 is predicted to exceed more than 23.6 million. Having the SNP does not guarantee high cholesterol but it something to be aware of when it comes to lifestyle choices. We can supplement to help it as much as possible but lifestyle is key.
How Does Targeted Supplementation Work and What Can Be Used?
Green Tea Extract, Grape Skin (red) Extract, Pomegranate Extract and Artichoke extract are all used in personalized formulas for SNP’s on ApoB.
- Green tea extract: We know green tea will help lower blood pressure and cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL)-bad cholesterol and, also even triglycerides so that’s why green tea leaf extract is a component of the ApoB variant.
- Pomegranate extract: Pomegranate fruit polyphenols directly interact with LDL and indirectly increases our good cholesterol or HDL. It can help lower blood pressure so it can help immensely when it comes to cardiovascular disease. We actually use the fruit and the seed, it’s loaded with nature’s most powerful polyphenol which are great antioxidants.
- Artichoke extract root : Very high in fiber (good for gut and immune system), loaded with vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, K and folate, phosphorus and magnesium. One of the richest sources of antioxidants. Artichoke extract has actually been known as studies to reduce total and bad cholesterol or LDL levels while increasing HDL or good cholesterol levels.
- Resveratrol: It’s a polyphenol antioxidant, it’s produced by certain plants and found in foods such as dark chocolate and also drinks like red wine. Its biggest claim to fame, and what they’ve noted in research is that it has positive effects on healthy aging and longevity. it has such great anti-inflammatory activity and processes, it’s actually been known to be a factor against thickening of the arteries and the formation of blood clots and myocardial infarction. Consumption of resveratrol compounds has also been shown to increase your circulation. It also can help with our glucose levels, things like our lipid metabolism and those higher risk people for metabolic syndrome which has a lot to do with cardiovascular obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Polyphenols are important dietary ingredients. They come from plants (green tea leaves, artichoke, pomegranate), coffee, mushrooms, reversitol from dark chocolate or red wine. These fight against oxidative stress related disease, inflammatory disease, cardiovascular disease, stroke, ischemic heart disease. Here’s the good news; red wines like Pinot noir and Malbec are best choices and dark chocolate are your friend especially with a double variant ApoB.
Why Should You Give A Snip About This SNP?
Because maintaining your cardiovascular health is citical to your overall health and wellbeing! Full stop. As I said earlier, being aware of your genetic pre-dispositions can be a wake up call for some. Living a healthy lifestyle, and supplementing accordingly to give your body a better chance and is an excellent place to start. Your genes are not your destiny, or at least they don’t have to be.
How Do You Do This?
You start with a HIPAA compliant genetic analysis. We test for 18 SNP’s on 16 genes. From there, you will recieve an easy to read analysis that will include the ingredients for a formala that can be made for you based solely on YOUR genetic needs. These supplements are built only for you and can’t be shared with your spouse, friend, partner or sibling. Starter kits are $259.00; they include the easy to use cheek swabs, a self addressed envelope for sending to the lab, 30 days of a cellular cleanse and a 35 page report for you to use for your own or your doctors reference and if you choose, the custom supplement will be delivered to your door for $159.00/month.
I’m happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to reachout to me on LinkedIn, email firstname.lastname@example.org or I’m available by phone/text 403-540-0304.
- Uforia Science
- Benn, M., Nordestgaard, B. G., Jensen, J. S., Grande, P., Sillesen, H., Tybjaerg-Hansen, A. Polymorphism in APOB associated with increases in low-density lipoprotein levels in both genders in the general population. J. Clin. Endocr. Metab. 90: 5797-5803, 2005. [PubMed: 16030169,
- Benn, M., Nordestgaard, B. G., Jensen, J. S., Tybjaerg-Hansen, A. Polymorphisms in apolipoprotein B and risk of ischemic stroke. J. Clin. Endocr. Metab. 92: 3611-3617, 2007. [PubMed: 17595251, related citations]